Compose a brief Word document that answers the following questions.
Different measures of disease are useful to evaluate and assess public health programs and needs in different situations. Refer to Chapter 3 in Friis and Sellers (2014).
State which measure would best support your goal and briefly explain why you chose that measure for each of the following questions (numbers 1 – 5).
Measures of disease:
I = incidence rate
P = prevalence
L = lifetime prevalence
M = crude mortality rate (crude death rate)
R = sex ratio (counts)
1. To demonstrate the risks of car-train crashes at railroad crossings without warning signals.
2. To demonstrate the amount of children’s exposure to secondhand cigarette smoke.
3. To estimate the number of persons who have had leukaemia during their lifetimes.
4. To estimate the number of healthcare facilities needed to support patients with Alzheimer’s disease.
5. To argue that mortality from HIV infection is a more serious public health problem in one region of the U.S than another.