PSY 207 Final Exam Chapter 8-13
Select 1-2 questions from each chapter for a total of 10 questions (no more than 10). Two to three short paragraphs should be enough to adequately address the question.
To further explain; there are 6 chapters. You will answer at least one question from each chapter (6 questions) and will choose one more from four of the chapters for a total of 10 questions. Considering you are using your textbook or another resource, your responses to the questions will be graded on your accuracy of content, terms, and your knowledge and understanding of the concepts.
Include the chapter and question you select.
1. Discuss how growth rate affects the eating habits of preschool children and examine the most common nutritional problems of preschoolers.2. Monique wants to help her 3-year-old son develop healthy eating habits. Advise her about what to expect in her son’s eating behavior and how her mealtime routines can affect that behavior. What actions could Monique take to create peaceful mealtimes?3. Discuss the role of the corpus callosum in children’s brain development. What is it, what does it do, and what happens if it does not develop correctly?4. Explain the process and function of myelination in the nervous system.
1. Explain the concept of animism. Give examples of how children demonstrate this concept.2. Explain the difference between Piaget’s concept of egocentrism and the concept of egocentrism as it is used in common language. Give an example of each of the two different usages.3. What is conservation? Describe an example of a conservation task, noting the initial presentation of material, the transformation of material, and the questions that children are asked.4. Francesca is frustrated trying to learn to tie her shoes. According to Vygotsky, should the parents get involved, or should they let her try to master this task on her own? If they decide to get involved, what should her parents do?
1. Briefly describe what happens during Erikson’s Initiative versus Guilt stage.2. List and describe the three parenting styles described by Diana Baumrind.3. Define the difference between sex and gender as described in the text. Give three examples of gender schema.4. Tyler’s mother is trying to decide whether or not to sign up her 7-year-old son for Little League. Offer two reasons why she should encourage this activity.
1. How does the physical growth of the school-aged child compare with that of the younger child? What abilities emerge as a result of these changes?2. What are the main advantages of physical play during middle childhood?3. What are the short-term and long-term effects of childhood obesity?4. What roles do nature and nurture play in childhood asthma?
1. Why did Piaget call cognition in Middle Childhood “Concrete Operational Thought?”2. How do Vygotsky and Piaget differ in their explanation of cognitive advances in middle childhood?3. How does information-processing theory differ from traditional theories of cognitive development?
1. Define resilience and identify three things in a child’s life that can support resilience.2. What are three things adults can do to help children cope with stress?3. List and explain at least three causes and three consequences of bullying.