Why You Choose the Book:
What You Like the Best:
1. What elements make the book appropriate or inappropriate for the age group?
2. Is this a book that will appeal to children? Explain your answer.
3. Are the characters well developed? In what ways?
4. Does the story avoid or reinforce stereotypes of race, gender, age, etc.?
5. How is the theme developed through the illustrations?
6. Do the illustrations extend the text in any way? How?
7. Do the illustrations provide clues to the action of the story?
8. Are the pictures accurate and consistent with the text?
Medium (example: watercolors, collage, pencil, photographs, pen and ink)
9. What medium has the illustrator chosen to use?
10. Is it appropriate for the mood of the story? Why or why not?
11. How has the illustrator used line, shape, and color to extend the meaning of the story?
12. How has the artist portray the time and setting of the story?
13. What techniques seem to create rhythm and movement?
14. Does the jacket design (cover) express the theme of the book? How?
15. Is the type or print well chosen for the theme and purpose of the book? Why or why not?