|Process of Scientific Study|
Students will provide an explanation on the steps needed to verify a statement. The statement to be addressed by the scientific method is as follows: “Feed a cold, starve a fever.”
1. How observations would be made
2. What questions would be asked and what information was gathered
3. The hypotheses to be formulated and tested
4. Who would benefit and who would make use of the information obtained from the study
5. What the predicted results would be
6. How conclusions would be obtained
Students will prepare a minimum 7-slide PowerPoint presentation and prepare an outline for an oral presentation in the Notes section of the PowerPoint presentation with the following sections:
3. Introduction (with statement of purpose and hypothesis)
4. Materials/Methods of Testing (how observations would be made and what questions would be asked and what information was gathered)
5. Predicted Results
7. Conclusion (based on predicted results)
Students should use a minimum of three scholarly sources. Remember that Wikipedia is not considered a scholarly source.
While APA style is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and documentation of sources should be presented using APA formatting guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a grading rubric. Instructors will be using the rubric to grade the assignment; therefore, students should review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the assignment criteria and expectations for successful completion of the assignment.